savelog - save a log file
[-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-t] [-p] [-c cycle] [-l] [-j]
[-J] [-1 .. -9] [-C] [-d] [-l] [-r rolldir] [-n] [-q] [-D
dateformat] file ...
command saves and optionally compresses old copies of files.
Older versions of file
is the version number, 0 being the newest. Version
numbers > 0 are compressed unless -l
prevents it. Version number 0
is not compressed because a process might still have file
I/O. Only cycle
versions of the file are kept.
If the file does not exist and -t
was given, it will be created.
For files that do exist and have lengths greater than zero, the following
actions are performed:
- Version numbered files are cycled. Version
file.2 is moved to version file.3, version
file.1 is moved to version file.2, and so on.
Finally version file.0 is moved to version
file.1, and version file is deleted. Both compressed
names and uncompressed names are cycled, regardless of -l. Missing
version files are ignored.
- The new file.1 is compressed unless the
-l flag was given. It is changed subject to the -m,
-u, and -g flags.
- The main file is moved to file.0.
- If the -m, -u, -g, -t, or
-p flags are given, then an empty file is created subject to
the given flags. With the -p flag, the file is created with the
same owner, group, and permissions as before.
- The new file.0 is changed subject to the
-m, -u, and -g flags.
- -m mode
- chmod the log files to mode, implies -t
- -u user
- chown log files to user, implies -t
- -g group
- chgrp log files to group, implies -t
- -c cycle
- Save cycle versions of the logfile (default: 7). The
cycle count must be at least 2.
- touch new logfile into existence
- don't compress any log files (default: do compress)
- preserve owner, group, and permissions of logfile
- compress with bzip2 instead of gzip
- compress with xz instead of gzip
For xz no strength option is set, and xz decides on the default based on the
total amount of physical RAM. Note that xz can use a very large amount of
memory for the higher compression levels.
- -1 .. -9
- compression strength or memory usage (default: 9, except
- force cleanup of cycled logfiles
- use standard date for rolling
- -D dateformat
- override date format, in the syntax understood by the
- use rolldir instead of . to roll files
- do not rotate empty files
- be quiet
If a process is still writing to file.0
, and savelog moves it to
and compresses it, data could be lost.